How to install Geeklog with Squirrel Hosting
Geeklog is an open source blogging system that can also work as a CMS or web portal. Geeklog comes with many built in features with the ability to install plugins. Geeklog supports community features such as blogs, polls and comments. For more information about Geeklog, see here.
Our 1 click install software will only install to an empty directory. If your hosting account is new, make sure you have removed the default index.html. Failure to install in an empty directory will result in a blank page once you have attempted to run the install.
Step 1 Log in to eXtend
Log in to your eXtend control panel. For your username and password as well as details on how to do this, check your welcome email. You can also access your eXtend control panel via your customer control panel under 'manage your hosting'.
Step 2 Run the Geeklog Weblog 1 click install
Once you have logged into your eXtend control panel, scroll down to the CGI scripts section. Under here, you will find the Geeklog Weblog icon. Click on this to proceed to the next step.
A page entitled 'Geeklog - The Ultimate Weblog System' will load notifying you that you are about to install version 1.81 of the system. On this page, you will be prompted to choose an installation directory. You can either choose to install into the main website directory or a specific folder / directory of your choice.
To install to the main directory, just click 'Install Now'. If you want to install to another directory, type the name of the folder into the blank box next to 'Installation Directory'. If you haven't already created the folder you want to install to, the script will create it for you. After you have filled in the blank box, click 'Install Now'.
After this, a page will pop up briefly saying that Geeklog is installing. An Installation Complete page will then appear. You will need to click the top link on this page to move onto the next step. However, if your domain has not transferred over to us yet, click on the temporary domain link (second link) instead.
A page will load with the Geeklog logo at the top. There will be a Step 1 heading with a 'New Install' button underneath. Click this button.
The next page will display a form that the installation script will have automatically filled in for you. Most of this can be left as it is. However, you may wish to change a couple of the sections. The form consists of:
- Site Name (you will want to change this to whatever your site will be called).
- Site Slogan (again, you will want to change this to whatever will suit your site).
- Database Type (we recommend MySQL but if you have an alternative database, you can use this).
- Database Hostname (leave this as it is).
- Database Name (leave this as it is).
- Database Username (leave this as it is).
- Database Password (this has been created for you, leave it as it is).
- Database Table Prefix (leave this as it is).
- Site URL (your URL).
- Admin Directory Path (your URL and directory).
- Site Email (type in your site email address - can be set up via the mailboxes icon in your control panel).
- Site No-Reply Email (usually same as site email - must be a valid email address).
- Use UTF-8 Checkbox (if your site is going to be multilingual, you may want to tick this).
Next, click the 'Install' button at the bottom. Any plugins can be installed later.
Your installation is now complete! A page will load with a username and password and you can now log into the admin and get started.
If you have found this guide useful, please let us know in the comments below.
Leave a comment
Has this guide helped you? Have an idea for a guide or need help? Let us know below.