How to add attributes to products on Prestashop 1.6
This guide will assist you in adding attributes to items in your Prestashop e-commerce site. Attributes are a useful way of being able to efficiently add different options for your products such as size, colour, weight etc. To follow this guide, you will need to have installed version 1.6 of Prestashop on to your domain. You can do this using our 1 click install guide here.
Step 1: Log in to Prestashop
Log in to your Prestashop website. Navigate to 'catalog' on the left hand side. Hover over it and then click 'product attributes'.
A page will load entitled 'product attributes'. Next, click the + button at the top (add new attribute).
A form will load. You will need to fill in the following:
- Name: name of attribute (colour, size, length, weight etc).
- Group Name: name displayed to the customer.
- URL: the word you would like to use in the url. If you do not type anything, the public name will be set as default.
- Meta Title: the word to use in the page's title. If you do not type anything, the public name will be set as default.
- Indexable: choose yes or no depending on if you want the search engines to be able to index the attribute or not.
- Attribute Type: you can choose from dropdown list, radio button or color.
Click 'save' after you have filled this in.
Next, click the + add new value button in the top right of the page.
You will need to fill in the form that loads. Fill in the following details:
- Attribute Group: choose from the dropdown.
- Value: type in the value. For example, if it is for size, input small, medium , large or something similar.
- URL: the word that will be used in your url. Leave this blank and it will use the default value name.
- Meta Title: the word that will be used in your title. Leave this blank and it will use the default value name.
Click 'save' or 'save then add another value' and you can add as many values as you like for each attribute.
Next, go the 'catalog' and click on 'products'.
Click on the product that you want to add attributes to then click on 'combinations'.
Next, click 'New Combination' in the bottom right corner.
A form will load that you need to fill in as follows:
Attribute: choose from the dropdown.
Value: choose from dropdown then click the +add button on the right.
Reference code Fill in as appropriate.
EAN-13 or JAN barcode Fill in as appropriate.
UPC barcode Fill in as appropriate.
Wholesale price: set to zero if the price does not change.
Impact on price: increase, decrease or none.
Impact on weight: increase, reduction or none.
Impact on unit price: increase, reduction or none. You can also edit the price difference here.
Minimum quantity: the minimum quantity set to buy this product (set to 1 to disable this feature).
Available date: if the product is out of stock, you can indicate when it will be in stock again.
Image: choose the most appropriate image for this value.
Default: make this combination the default combination for this product.
Click 'save and stay'.
Just click 'New Combination' to add another.
Once you have added all of the attributes / values that you wish to, preview your product on your live site. The attributes should now show on your store.
That's it. You can now create and add further attributes to other products.
We hope you found this guide useful. Let us know in the comments below.
Leave a comment
Has this guide helped you? Have an idea for a guide or need help? Let us know below.